Christmas is the time when the world begins to bustle with joy and enthusiasm. It’s the period of the year where people are overwhelmed by the magic of the season; where we prepare delicious traditional dishes, have festive parties with family and friends and decorate our surroundings with lights and Christmas trees.
Wine Pairings for Christmas
Would you like to know how to pair your Christmas spread with a suitable wine? Whatever your choice of food for Christmas, we can find a Moldovan wine for you!
Christmas dishes can be enhanced by a correctly chosen wine. The success of the meal depends largely on the harmonization between wine and food. Some classic partnerships are hard to beat and getting the balance right are just as applicable at Christmas as at any other time.
The dishes are served in a certain order, respecting a certain gradation of tastes: salty dishes precede the sweet, spicy foods are served later in the meal. Similarly, wines also follow certain rules: young wines are served before the old, light before the full-bodied; wines which are served cold are opened before those at room temperature; dry wines are always served before the sweet wines. In general white wines are served first, before red wines; and sweet desert wines are served last. These general rules are based on only one principle:
The wine we drink should not make us regret the one we drank before.
It would be best to choose the wine according to the menu you have on the table on Christmas Eve, in association with the dishes, but also according to the guests and the traditions you keep in the family. Christmas is also an excuse to open a more expensive wine! It's a holiday after all. A delicious red wine, such as our most premium wine: Lupi from Gitana Winery would be a one-of-a-kind wine to enjoy on Christmas day. Away of celebrating a special event that takes place only once in a year. An intense ruby-red blend of Saperavi, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot that will be appreciated by all family members and pairs well with any red meat!
Below are our suggestions for some great Moldovan wine to food pairings.
Moldovan wines recommended for Christmas dishes
- Flæskesteg- Rara Neagra from Gitana Winery or Rosu de Giana from same winery, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Rara Neagra
- Herring/sild- Alb de Gitana from Gitana Winery, a blend of Chardonnay and Feteasca Regala
- Lamb- Rosu de Gitana from Gitana Winery or Saperavi - AnimAliens Collection from Castel MIMI Winery
- Salmon- Chardonnay from Gitana Winery or Pinot noir - AnimAliens Collection from Castel MIMI Winery
- Duck- Lupi from Gitana Winery - a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Saperavi or Rosu de Bulboaca from Castel MIMI Winery - a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Malbec
- Leverpostej + bacon - Rosu de Gitana from Gitana Winery or Saperavi - AnimAliens Collection from Castel MIMI Winery
- Fiskefilet Remoulade - Chardonnay or Alb de Gitana from Gitana Winery, which is citrussy/sparkling
- Turkey - Femme Fatale from Carpe Diem Winery, a blend of Feteasca Alba and Feteasca Regala or Alb de Gitana from Gitana Winery